Chocolate Ice Cream w/ Cookie Dough Chunks
For the chocolate ice cream:
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the cookie dough chunks:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- For the cookie dough chunks: Combine the butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cream, vanilla and salt, and mix for another minute or so, until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour, mixing just until incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 days.
- For the chocolate ice cream: In large bowl, stir together sugar and cocoa. Add egg yolks and blend with electric mixer. Add cream a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Chill mixture in refrigerator.
- While cream mixture is chilling, grate chocolate chips in blender or food processor or using a rotary grater, until fine. Stir into cream mixture. Add in chunks of cookie dough into the ice cream and gently fold it in. Freeze in canister of ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Adapted and slightly modified from All Recipes