Happy Valentine’s Day! Hope everyone is spending time with friends, family, or a partner on this special day. I have no clue who made up with holiday/tradition, but it is te perfect excuse to do something special for a secret admirer. Such as baking them these lovely spiked up chocolate cupcakes! Don’t worry, the alcohol from the bourbon will be gone after it has been baked in the oven. Instead of making a simple chocolate buttercream for these cupcakes, I decided to whip up something a little special that relates to Valentine’s Day. By whipping up buttercream with a box of Red Velvet cake mix! Creative right?? The Red Velvet Buttercream went perfect with these cupcakes since you can really taste the bourbon in these. Happy Eating~ 🙂
Chocolate Bourbon Cupcakes w/ Red Velvet Buttercream
Chocolate Bourbon Cupcakes:
- 3 oz. high quality unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tbsps instant espresso powder (can use instant coffee as a substitute)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup flour
Red Velvet Buttercream:
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dry Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
Make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Melt the chocolate over a water bath or in the microwave (typically best to do this 30 seconds at a time on half power, checking that you don’t burn the chocolate). Set the chocolate aside and let it cool. Place the espresso powder (or instant coffee) and the unsweetened cocoa powder in a liquid measuring cup. Add boiling water to the cup until the total volume is 1/2 cup. Stir to dissolve the granules in the hot water. Add bourbon and the salt to the espresso mixture. Set aside and let cool.
- Place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until fluffy. Beat the sugar into the butter. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until well mixed after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract, the baking soda, and the melted chocolate. Mix until uniform in color. Beat in a third of the espresso-bourbon liquid until incorporated. Add half of the flour and mix. Repeat until you finish with a third of the liquid. Blend well then pour the batter evenly throughout each cup in your cupcake pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes before frosting.
To make the buttercream:
- Mix all ingredients together and frost cupcakes.