Yeah I know what your’re thinking . . . Twice baked? Man. That is too much work. But hey, it is all so worth it! The crispy skin of the sweet potato with a warm, creamy, and savory filling that leaves you with a satisfied taste bud. Yum! This is perfect to secretly add a few more vegetables and nutrients to your kids daily diet. This time, there will be no more complaining at your dinner table. Haha. Happy Eating~ 🙂
Twice Baked Sweet Potato w/ Kale and Caramelized Onion
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, skin-on
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped kale (dinosaur or Tuscan), about 2-3 kale leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pierce scrubbed sweet potatoes several times with a fork. Place on a baking sheet.
- Roast sweet potatoes for 30-35 minutes, until cooked all the way through.
- While sweet potatoes roast, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add the kale and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes, until kale is very wilted. Remove from pan and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Let sweet potatoes cool for 5 minutes once you take them out of the oven (leave the oven on).
- Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the cooked flesh (you may need to leave a thin layer of flesh close to the skin to keep the skin from tearing).
- Place scooped-out sweet potato flesh into the mixing bowl with the onion-kale mixture and set the skins aside (you’ll use them later). Mash with a fork and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the mixture between the empty sweet potato skins and top each with a pinch of nutritional yeast and place the stuffed sweet potatoes on the baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Serve immediately.