I am totally fine with consuming vegan dishes . . . as long as they taste like the real thing! Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with vegan food. However, most of them are made raw and uncooked, so it sometimes tends to be a little tasteless and bitter to me. In my opinion. Anyways, these eggplant “meat”balls taste (and looks) so legit, almost anybody can be fooled! Want a solution to sneak some vegetables into your kids diet? This recipe is just for you. Happy Eating~ 🙂
Vegan Eggplant Meatballs
- 2 large eggplants, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices day-old bread, stale
- 1 tablespoon flax meal mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lay the eggplant out on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 30 minutes, or until they have turned golden brown. Remove from the oven and turn heat down to 350 degrees F.
- Grind the bread slices in the food processor until they’re broken into bread crumbs. Remove about ¼ of the crumbs and set aside. To the processor add in the roasted eggplant and flax meal mixture and grind together until the mixture becomes a fairly smooth paste. Now add the garlic, nutritional yeast and parsley. Pulse to combine. If the mixture is too runny add in more of the additional bread crumbs until it becomes something you can mold.
- Form the mixture into small balls and place on a baking sheet. Cook in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through (I split one open just to test).
- Serve as you would normal meatballs: over pasta, in a sub or on a toothpick.